Walden World

The wacky and wonderful tales of Beth's and Catherine's global adventures. And all things Walden too.

Saturday, November 13, 2021

The "Luvahs" and Covid

I am now 56 and a sound world traveller. All the people who travel now are either boomers in their 70s or rich "jungvolk" in their early 20s. So nosotras are a bit out of place. People our age usually have children and teens and university to pay for. 

By the small pool the rain soaked everything. 6 rooms and Dutch, English and Americans kids would check in sporadically.  I greeted them and tried to ask questions to get them to relax and enjoy the hotel. I realized suddenly I may sound like the infamous "Luvahs" from SNL. Did I really come across like some creepy weirdo?  (sans the 'lovah' stuff)  "Let me introduce myself: we are the Professors Catherine and Beth Klarvins...are you here with a 'lovah?"

I started to get depressed at aging but then realized when I was a 21 year old back packing around India alone everyone there thought I was weird. 

I remember in Goa walking near a cool beach market when a French heroin hippie, likely 35, came out of nowhere and started dancing around me with a tambourine, cigarette dangling from her leather tanned mouth: "You are magical" she said dancing and dancing: "too bad you're going to die so young"

That strange prophecy has haunted me to this day. Have I dodged it?

I wonder what "young" is. 

Everywhere in Tulum there are countless very young Americans, Dutch, English and a few Canadians. No one wears masks, it seems, unless you are Canadian. 

I don't think most Mexicans are vaccinated. Our hotel guy today told me he didn't believe in vaccination: "I feel fine." "Yes" I replied "until you get really sick with COVID"

He looked down and then looked worried. Then he said "I think we need to reduce the population so earth can heal from global warming. So it can breathe again. 

This Malthusian viewpoint is quite popular amongst the many New Age hippies who frequent the vegan cafes and yoga huts, spaced out among half built edifices and small shanty huts the where poor labourers hang hamocks and squat. Their families in tow setting up poor shop and living on the unlit streets. 

Tonight the young Gringo women nearby, all Barbie doll legs and and sarongs sing and chant and egg on homeless Mexicans who walk on the rain soaked road to play some drumming. 

It's authentic.  







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home